Most people find gas powered leaf blowers annoying, but many people don’t know how dangerous they are to our health and the health of our children. By replacing them with clean alternatives we can make our neighborhoods quieter and safer. Please join us to eliminate gas powered leaf blowers NOW!
The City of Portland recently passed Resolution 1123 to mandate all City Bureaus to transition away from gas powered leaf blowers by Jan 1, 2021 and to establish a working group to explore how to equitably transition the entire city to electric and battery operated leaf blowers. Read the details on the Resolution 1123 here.
HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Join our newsletter and Facebook group for up to date information about how to help the effort and for updates on the progress we are making.
- Sign and share our petition to lobby Portland and Oregon legislators to pass a ban on gas powered leaf blowers.
- Download our brochure and share it with your neighbors and friends.
- Download our Gas Powered Leaf Blower Emissions Factsheet and share it with your neighbors and friends.
- Share this information on Nextdoor.com – people care about what their neighbors say.
- Ask your landscaping company to switch to electric powered equipment. More contractors are starting to move away from gas powered equipment. Tell them that you care about our air and their health! To help you with that conversation, we have prepared this tip sheet for talking to your contractor, and this draft language for a letter to your contractor. Here is a version of the letter in Spanish.
- Hire a landscape contractor that is committed to quiet, safe, gas free yard care.
- Replace your own gas powered equipment with safer tools – find more information about safer tools here.
- Practice healthy yard care – sometimes doing less work can actually be better for your yard – find out more about eco friendly yard care here.
For Whom the Leaf Blower Blows
Consumer grade cost cutters
available in mildly indifferent and turbo screw all y’all models*
shift the burden of debris
faster than you can say externality
*inline deregulators sold separately
Verse thanks toJennifer Martenson